Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Overview of the project

I have always wanted to rebuild a car, but there is only one old car that I would want to spend time on. The DMC-12. I spent many years looking at these cars online and one day I found Dr. Dave Delman's delorean http://www.electricdelorean.com/. Initially, I didn't like the idea of an electric delorean. Why modify a classic? Then it hit me. The car was suppose to have a V8, then they just chopped two cylinders off and made it a v6 with the 90 degree crank shaft positions making it an odd-firing V6. Stock you get an amazing 130 hp at the flywheel. While I cannot find the exact number right now, but I remember the hp getting to the wheels just being laughable. Road and track rated the car at a 10.5s 0-60. Even with modern upgrades to the engine, a "stage II" gets this 0-60 up to about 9.5 seconds.

Dr. Delman's delorean is faster than stock and it's carrying about 800 lbs of batteries. Also, the big thing with electric vehicles is that the batteries just can't dump all of their energy and when you do you end up with less total energy.

So here is the project. Get a car that really needs some attention, take years to fix up everything knowing that it will never run a gas engine again. By the time the car is all ready to go, then either there is new battery technology or (what is more likely) is that the LiFePO4 batteries are cheaper.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so you are taking on a huge mess. Good luck! Lee, VIN 02566

    ReplyDelete